Friday, January 8, 2010

Pantry Potato Soup

When I threw together this soup last night, I wasn't trying to make a recipe. I was just trying to make a meal using whatever I had in the pantry, fridge and freezer. The result was amazing, and despite my general dislike of leftovers, today's leftover soup lunch was just as tasty. Paired with fresh homemade bread, this is an excellent meal. Sorry, I didn't take notes as I prepared it, so I don't have exact measurements for anything. I will definitely be paying more attention to the details next time so I can update!
Pantry Potato Soup
6-8 medium white potatoes, cut into chunks
large handful of carrots, cut into chunks
8 cups stock or broth (I used a combo of homemade chicken and turkey stocks, or use veggie stock for vegetarian)
diced onion, green pepper and celery (I used a frozen bag of the combo)
2-3 tbsp Lawry's seasoning salt
1 tbsp celery seed
1 bay leaf
8oz package cream cheese
2 triangles Laughing Cow cheese (or other soft cheese)

In a large stock pot, boil all veggies and seasonings in stock until potatoes are fully cooked (about 15 minutes). Stir in cream cheese and other soft cheese until melted. Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to cream soup. Simmer another 5-10 minutes on medium low, and serve hot, with fresh bread.

1 comment: