Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pantry Potato Soup v2 (Crockpot Style)

I ended up working on another creamy potato soup recipe, in large part because I had leftover chicken and turkey stock in my fridge and half a bag of potatoes that I didn't want to waste. Also, the last experiment worked out so well, I was eager to find a similar version that could be made in my BFF, the crockpot. Here's what I came up with -- it's similar to the stove-top version I made last week, but it's designed to simmer in a crockpot all day long, perfect for workdays! The ingredients are a bit different, because once again I was raiding the pantry for supplies.

Pantry Potato Soup v2 (Crockpot Style)
5-6 medium white potatoes, cut into chunks
large handful of carrots, cut into chunks
6 cups stock or broth (I used a combo of homemade chicken and turkey stocks or use veggie stock for vegetarian)
16 oz. frozen sweet corn
7 oz. can green chiles
1 tbsp celery seed
2 tbsp minced onion
1 tsp ground black pepper
8 oz. package cream cheese
2 triangles Laughing Cow cheese (or other soft cheese)
3-4 tbsp Lawry's seasoning salt (to taste)

Toss potatoes through black pepper into crockpot, and simmer on low for about 8 hours. Stir in cream cheese and other soft cheese, then raise heat to high until cheese is melted. Use an immersion blender to cream soup. Stir in Lawry's to taste. Simmer another 5 minutes on low, and serve hot, with fresh bread or tortillas.

1 comment:

  1. I see dinner for next week in my future. This looks delicious and easy.

    ReplyDelete