Monday, January 10, 2011

Pressure Cooker: 16-Bean Soup

I got a really nice Cuisinart Electric Pressure Cooker for Christmas, and this bean soup was my first ever attempt at pressure cooking. I was nervous -- I'd heard all the stories about pressure cookers blowing up, sending soup and stew all over the ceiling. This was amazingly simple though, and the result was some of the best bean soup I've ever had. I'm actually looking forward to leftovers today!

PC 16-Bean Soup
5-6 slices bacon, sliced into 1/2 inch chunks
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 lb dried 16-bean soup variety beans (I buy them in the bulk bin at the natural food store)
6oz can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
Salt, pepper, Lawry's Seasoning to taste

In an electric pressure cooker, sauté chopped onion and sliced bacon in olive oil until the onion is clear. Add the dried beans and tomato paste and cover with water, about 2" over the beans. Secure the lid and turn on high pressure for 35 minutes. When the time is up, use the quick pressure release,  add diced tomatoes and season to taste. Simmer 5 minutes and serve. Makes 10-12 servings.

Note: To make this soup vegetarian, simply omit the bacon.

3 comments:

  1. Delicious! Thanks for the recipe idea, I will add some ditilini pasta (cooked separately and not stored in left overs) for a pasta fagiola soup. If you par boil the beans 2 mins. and let sit for 45-60 mins. the pressure cook time is much faster. Also, I used no tom. paste, nor bacon (didn't have) and chicken stock 32oz. and water and it was still good. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking note: we just had this with a minor modification that I highly recommend. Replace half the water with chicken stock, and increase liquid to 3" above bean mixture before pressure cooking on high for 35 minutes. Turns out not as dense and even more flavorful. More of a stew than a soup, sorry for the misnomer!

    ReplyDelete